Tofu in place of dairy, eggs and meats
Tofu is commonly used as a meat replacement but did you know that you can also create meals that are healthier for you by substituting tofu for dairy and eggs? Instead of using cheese or cream in your recipes try using tofu. Lactose intolerant? Replace milk for tofu. And remember...tofu absorbs the yummy flavors in your recipe so you may be able to sneak it in without anyone even noticing!
- To replace milk, blend silken tofu with water until it has the consistency of milk
- To replace cream cheese or ricotta, use an equal volume of soft or firm tofu
- To replace eggs that are being used for binding and set-up, 1 egg equals 1/2 cup silken tofu. This works especially well for pies.
- Give our Nayoniase a try!
- To replace Mayonaise, swap evenly with soft tofu
- To acheive the same texture of ground beef when making chili or meat sauces it's best to freeze extra firm or firm tofu first. Thaw in the refrigerator. Drain and press the tofu and prepare it the same way you would ground beef. Remember-tofu absorbs the flavors in your recipe!