< Back to Recipes
Vegan Veggie Tofu Egg Patty Breakfast Sandwich
- 9 Servings
- 20 mins Prep Time
- 1 hr 5 mins Total Time
Created by Blissful Basil
Tofu Veggie “Egg” Patties
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced white or yellow onion
- 1 cup finely diced red, yellow, or orange bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) package Nasoya Extra Firm Tofu drained
- 1/4 cup garbanzo (chickpea) flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt + 1/2 teaspoon black salt (kala namak)*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce of choice (classic “red hot” sauce and Sriracha both work great)
- 9 vegan English muffins or bagels, sliced and toasted (or as many as needed to serve on demand)
- Baby spinach
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease 9 of the slots in two 6-slot muffin top tins or 9 of the slots in one 12-slot classic muffin tin. If you have muffin top tins, these work best as they yield an "egg" patty that's perfectly sized for breakfast sandwiches. A regular muffin tin will work in a pinch but you'll need to smush the egg patties down in your breakfast sandwich.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, broccoli, and spinach. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for 3 minutes, or until the veggies just barely begin to soften and the spinach wilts (they'll continue to cook in the oven, so no need to get them too tender at this point). Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Crumble the tofu into a food processor. Add the garbanzo flour, nutritional yeast, water, tahini, vinegar, garlic powder, sea salt + black salt, turmeric, and a few grinds of black pepper. Process for 2 minutes, or until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the processor as needed.
- Spoon the tofu mixture into the pan with the sautéed veggies and stir to combine. Evenly distribute the mixture between the 9 greased muffin tin slots.
- Bake the "egg" patties for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and have pulled away from the pan, and the middles are completely set.
- Transfer the tin(s) to an oven safe cooling rack and allow the patties to cool for at least 10 minutes. If needed, run a butter knife around the edge of each patty to release from the pan.
- To Assemble the Breakfast Sandwiches In a small jar or bowl, whisk together the mayo and the hot sauce to create a speedy spicy mayo sauce.
- Slather one side of each toasted English muffins/bagels with the sauce. Top each with an egg patty, a few pieces of baby spinach, a few slices of avocado, and a couple slices of tomato. Serve immediately.
- Leftover egg patties will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week and can be frozen for up to one month.