New! BBQ Beet Kimchi Sliders
- 4 Servings
- mins Prep Time
- mins Total Time
Created by Blissful Basil
• 3 cups peeled and diced beets (about 4–5 medium beets)
• 1 cup split red lentils, thoroughly rinsed
• 2 cups water
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 cup finely chopped Nasoya Mild or Spicy Kimchi
• 3/4 cup finely diced yellow onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar, divided
• 1 tbsp smoked paprika
• 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, divided
• 3 tbsp BBQ sauce of choice, plus more for serving
• 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1 tbsp minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce*
• 1 to 1 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt, to taste
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 3/4 cup roasted and unsalted shelled sunflower seeds
• 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
Burger Base and Toppings
• 15 slider rolls of choice (e.g., sprouted, gluten-free, pretzel, etc.), toasted
• 1/2 to 1 cup Nasoya Mild or Spicy Kimchi, roughly chopped
- Steam the beets in a steamer or steamer basket for 25-30 mins, or until fork-tender.
- While the beets are steaming, add the lentils and water to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes, or until just tender, stirring occasionally. If needed, add more water to keep the lentils submerged. Strain off as much excess water as possible and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over low heat in a large sauté pan. Add the kimchi, onion, and garlic, 1 tbsp of the coconut sugar, the paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Increase the heat to medium-low, and cook for 5 mins, stirring occasionally. Let cool slightly.
- Add the steamed beets, cooked lentils, 1/2 cup of the rolled oats, BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar, minced chipotle peppers, sea salt, and black pepper to a food processor. Pulse 20 -25 times, or until the mixture is roughly chopped and ingredients are well incorporated, stopping to scrape down the sides halfway through pulsing. You want a bit of chunky texture, so be careful not to over-process.
- Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl, and add the reserved 3/4 cup rolled oats, the cooked kimchi mixture, the remaining 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, sunflower seeds, and ground flaxseed. Thoroughly stir to combine. The mixture should be quite damp but able to hold its shape.
- Chill the mixture for at least 30 minutes (preferably longer to make it easier to handle).
- About 10 mins before you're ready to form the patties, preheat the oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a 1/3-cup measuring cup to scoop out 1/3 cup of the mixture. Form the mixture into a patty that is 1-inch thick and about 2 inches in diameter, and transfer to the lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining mixture. You should have about 15 patties.
- Bake the patties for 25-28 minutes, or until the bottoms are deep golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool for several minutes before moving or serving. They'll firm up as they cool.
- To assemble, place each patty on a bun, slather with a bit of BBQ sauce, and generously top with the kimchi. Serve immediately.