New! Black Pepper Tofu with Chinese Broccoli & Brown Rice
- 2 Servings
- 40 mins Prep Time
- mins Total Time
1 cup short-grain brown rice
15.5 oz Nasoya Organic Extra Firm Tofu, cubed
¼ cup cornstarch
2 tbsp vegetable oil
¼ cup tamari
2 tbsp + 1 tsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp vegan butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 oz fresh ginger, minced
1 shallot, minced
1 dried bird’s eye chili, minced
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
3 scallions, chopped
1 tbsp pepper
6 oz Chinese broccoli, chopped
- Add short-grain brown rice, 2¼ cups water, and a pinch of salt to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook, covered, until all of the water is absorbed, about 30 to 35 minutes. Fluff the cooked brown rice with a fork.
- Place the tofu into a large bowl and toss with the cornstarch. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat with 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, add the tofu and cook, tossing occasionally, until crisp on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the tamari and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Transfer the crispy tofu to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt. Return the skillet to medium heat and add the butter. Once melted, add the garlic, ginger, shallot, and as much minced bird’s eye chile as you’d like. Cook, stirring constantly, until the shallot is softened, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the celery to the skillet and toss to combine. Add the crispy tofu, scallions, brown sugar mixture, and up to 1 tbsp pepper depending on your affinity for heat. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the tofu is heated through and the sauce is sticky, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Divide the brown rice between large bowls and top with black pepper tofu.
- Return the skillet to high heat and add the Chinese broccoli and ¼ cup water. Sprinkle with salt and cook until bright green and crisp-tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve the Chinese broccoli alongside black pepper tofu. Enjoy!