< Back to Recipes
New! Eggplant Florentine with Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 2 Servings
- 30 mins Prep Time
- mins Total Time
Created by The Purple Carrot
1 block Nasoya Organic Extra Firm Tofu
3 cloves garlic
½ tsp dried oregano
2 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
Salt & pepper
4 oz baby spinach
14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
¼ oz fresh basil
- Trim the eggplant and slice into ½ inch thick rounds. Mince 2 cloves of garlic. Drain the tofu.
- Add the remaining garlic clove, tofu, dried oregano, lemon zest, lemon juice, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the food processor as necessary.
- Place a medium saucepan over medium-high heat with 1 tsp olive oil. Add the baby spinach and ¼ tsp salt. Cook until wilted, about 1 to 2 minutes, then transfer to a small bowl.
- Return the saucepan to medium-high heat with 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, ¼ tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the sliced eggplant in batches, arranging in one even layer, and cook, undisturbed, until browned on both sides, about 6 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked eggplant to a plate lined with paper towel, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Place a slice of eggplant on each plate and top with the tofu ricotta and sautéed spinach. Top with another layer of eggplant, the fire roasted tomato sauce, and continue to layer all four ingredients until all of the eggplant is used. Top with any remaining sauce and hand tear basil leaves over the dish. Serve with garlic bread or cooked pasta.