VEGAN BBQ TOFU SUMMER NACHOS
- 8 Servings
- 30 mins Prep Time
- 1 hr mins Total Time
Created by Blissful Basil
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. smoke salt (recommended) or sea salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
1 block Nasoya Organic Super Firm Tofu, patted dry, and cut into small cubes (about 1/3-inch cubes)*
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup vegan barbecue sauce of choice
1/4 cup filtered water
1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and finely diced
1/2 medium red onion, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, stemmed and chopped
1 small red bell pepper, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. sea salt or to taste
Nacho Base + Toppings
1 Vegan Smoky Cashew Queso
6–8 servings sturdy tortilla chips
1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
1 firm-ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
4 scallions, thinly sliced
- For the BBQ Tofu: Whisk together the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, smoke salt, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Dice the tofu.
- Then, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the tofu cubes. Sprinkle the spice mixture over top and use a spoon to toss and evenly coat.
- Sauté for 5 minutes, or until the tofu is just beginning to brown.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the barbecue sauce and water. Pour over the tofu.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and clings to the tofu, tossing occasionally.
- For the Pineapple Salsa: Prepare the salsa while the tofu simmers.
- In a medium bowl, stir together pineapple, red onion, cilantro, pepper, vinegar, and salt until combined. Refrigerate until serving and assembling.
- To Assemble: Prepare the Smoky Cashew Queso (this takes just 5 minutes or just before assembling the nachos.
- On a large serving platter or baking tray, spread out a layer of tortilla chips and top with the cheese, tofu, salsa, cabbage, and avocado. Repeat, creating two to three layers. Garnish with the scallions.
- Serve immediately.