< Back to Recipes
New! Vegetarian Sandwich Recipe
- mins Prep Time
- mins Total Time
Created by Sweet Phi
For the tofu:
- 7 oz Nasoya extra-firm tofu, drained
- ¼ cup soy sauce (or tamari if gluten-free)
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
For the sandwich:
- Grain/wheat sandwich bread (or a gluten free sandwich bread), toasted, 2 slices per sandwich
- Avocado slices, ¼ avocado per sandwich
- Spinach or lettuce, ¼ cup per sandwich
- Red onion, finely sliced, about 4 slices per sandwich
- Tomato, finely sliced, 3 slices per sandwich
- Mayonnaise (or vegan-mayo if vegan), ½ tablespoon per sandwich
For the olive oil and vinegar mix (makes enough for 4-6 sandwiches):
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Start by draining the tofu and setting it on a cutting board. Cut the block into very thin slices (about 1/8-1/4 of an inch), I use about 2-3 slices per sandwich, so depending on how many sandwiches you are making, that’s how many slices you should cut. I was making 4 sandwiches, so I cut 8-10 slices which was about ½ of the block of tofu. Pat each slice of tofu dry with a piece of paper towel.
- In a bowl combine soy sauce, vegetable broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and cayenne pepper. Whisk until combined. Put tofu in the marinade and let sit for 10 minutes – or up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- While the tofu is marinating, prep other ingredients for the sandwiches – toast the bread, slice the veggies, whisk all the ingredients for the olive oil and vinegar mix together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat and add in 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, add slices of tofu into the pan (making sure not to overcrowd them, and gently tapping off excess marinade.) Let tofu cook for 3-5 minutes per side, until a nice golden brown crust has formed, then flip and cook for another 3 minutes. Repeat until all the tofu is cooked.
- To assemble the sandwiches, on one side of bread smash the avocado slices using a fork to make it like a spread. Top with onion slices, spinach or lettuce, tomato slices, and then place 2-3 pieces of tofu on top of the tomatoes.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil and vinegar mix onto the tofu. Spread mayonnaise on the top piece of bread and place it on top of the tofu side of the sandwich. Cut in half, then enjoy!