Nasoya Extra Firm tofu is easy to cut into bite-size pieces and perfect for...
Cornmeal Crusted Tofu in Black Bean Tomato Sauce
- 1 pkg Nasoya® Firm, Extra firm, or Lite firm tofu
- 1 14 ounce can vegetable broth, divided
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 14.5 ounce can canned fire-roasted diced tomato with green pepper (undrained)
- 1 14 ounce can black beans, undrained
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, diced
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Slice tofu cross wise into 2 flat pieces. Wrap in a few layers of paper towels and place a weight over it to press out excess moisture. Let stand for 30 minutes. Cut into ½ inch dices. Marinade in ½ cup vegetable broth for 30 minutes. Set on paper towels to remove excess broth. Combine cornmeal, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper. Gently toss tofu cubes in cornmeal mixture. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add cornmeal coated tofu cubes in batches to the skillet to saute until a hard crust forms on all sides. Meanwhile, make the sauce by heating the canned tomatoes, black beans and remaining vegetable broth in a 2-quart saucepan. When ready to serve, blend with an immersion blender or blender until mostly blended with a few whole black beans. Taste for seasoning; add salt and pepper as desired. On each plate, place about ¾ cups cooked brown rice. Top with black bean-tomato sauce and then place cornmeal crusted tofu cubes atop. Garnish with cilantro and black olives, as desired.